Saturday 19 February 2011

Cheating Wholemeal Bananabread

For the past few months - each time we've had bananas that have lingered in the fruit bowl a little past their best - I've vowed to make Banana Bread. This week, after looking at five bananas that were rapidly turning black I finally decided to bite the bullet and do it. After looking up several recipes online and realising I only ever had half the ingredients - I decided to wing it...

  • I found one 500g packet of wholemeal bread mix in the back of the cupboard and added about 1/2 a cup of sugar and mixed them together.
  • I preheated my oven to 200 degrees and greased a 9" cake tin as per instructions on the packet
  • I then got my little sous chef aka Alex to help me mash the five bananas... Now in reality I actually ended up with about 3 1/2 - 4 bananas in the bread because the sous chef was peckish...
  • I added the bananas to the bread/sugar and mixed them together - also gradually adding about 10 fluid ounces of water.. which gave me something that wasn't quite a dough and not quite a pouring cake mix. Gloopy but not poury if you get me.
  • I scooped the mix into the cake tin, crossed the top of it with a knife and sprinkled a further 1/4 cup of sugar over the top.
  • I put it in the centre of the oven for 30 mins (again - as per instructions)
  • now when I got that bad boy out after 30 mins it was real wobbly so I put it back in for another 10 mins. I also turned the heat up to 250.
  • When it came out the next time it was as you see in the picture and tbh it was probably slightly overdone so I think next time I will cook it for 40 mins but keep the oven temperature at 200.
Ive got to say though - it was delicious. Best served hot with melted butter and a cup of tea. Mmmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment